Job announcements in the field and in related areas are posted in this group. Members are encouraged to post job announcements.
University of Kansas hiring Director of Communication and Advancement
14 September 2017 at 11:22 am #940
Auto req ID: 9989BR
Posting Title: Director of Communication and Advancement
Position Number: 00007852
No. of Positions: 1
FLSA Status: Executive
Employee Class: U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm
Job Family: Administrative/Management-KUL
Position Overview: Reporting to the Dean of the Libraries, the Director of Communications and Advancement for the University of Kansas Libraries will lead a team of five professional staff in strategically communicating and advancing the mission of the Libraries. The director, who serves on the Dean’s administrative team, provides strategic direction and has oversight of the communications and the advancement units. The incumbent leads the University Libraries’ development initiatives that include the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors with responsibility for setting the strategic direction for all fundraising and donor engagement and directing related activities in support of these programs. The incumbent also leads all internal and external marketing and communications efforts, including the development and implementation of all strategic communications plans. The director assures that key leadership communications and development initiatives are conceived, planned, prepared and executed. The incumbent works closely with external units, including senior campus leadership, endowment, alumni relations, public affairs, donors and the Library Board of Advocates. The director represents the Dean with internal and external constituencies on designated matters.
30% Leadership and Administration
• Provides direct oversight and administrative leadership for the activities of the Office of Communication and Advancement, in collaboration with the Assistant Directors of Communication and of Advancement.
• Actively mentors and promotes the ongoing professional development and full engagement of the staff in the unit.
• Provides overall executive-level support to the Dean of Libraries and Associate Dean.
• Directs and coordinates support to the Dean and Associate Dean in preparing message strategies and presentations.
• Assists with the implementation of the Libraries’ strategic initiatives, communicating the value and impact of the KU Libraries to the University and broader community.
• Shares the responsibility for representing the Libraries at events, meetings, and internal and external committees.
• Develops mutually supportive relationships with other members of the Libraries’ leadership team.
• Assists Dean/ Associate/ Assistant Deans in aligning organizational assets and activities with priorities.
• Serves on the dean’s cabinet.
• Prepares budgets documents, including those for funding and implementation of advancement and communications programs.
• Reviews reports submitted by unit staff members to recommend approval or to suggest changes.
• Demonstrates a commitment to advancing diversity efforts in the Libraries and contributes to an inclusive environment.
• In collaboration with the Dean of the Libraries, KU Endowment representatives and the Assistant Director for Advancement, develops and implements strategic fundraising plans for major gifts, Friends of the Library, foundation support and corporate fundraising strategies.
• Oversees the KU Libraries Board of Advocates, engaging board members as donors, and active partners/advocates of KU Libraries’ fundraising endeavors.
• Leads and assists in the cultivation of national, regional, and local donor prospects as well as current donors.
• Tracks progress toward fundraising and donor engagement goals; evaluates and reports progress toward goals. In collaboration with the Dean of the Libraries, assesses effectiveness of fundraising and cultivation strategies, and adjusts strategies as appropriate to meet goals.
• Manages donor acknowledgments and overall stewardship of in-kind and monetary gifts to the Libraries.
• Reviews financial statements, advancement activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement.
• Maintains security and quality controls in donor data management.
• Collaborates with the Assistant Director of Communication in developing and implementing the Libraries external and internal communication efforts.
• Serves as the primary media contact for KU Libraries, making and coordinating public statements to the press and other outside parties.
• Oversees the implementation of the Libraries’ suite of strategic communication plans, including the development of marketing materials.
• Collaborates across Libraries’ divisions, providing leadership and coordination for policies and processes regarding media relations.
• Develops, articulates and prepares key stakeholder messages and presentations for the Dean/Associate Dean supporting strategies designed for particular initiatives, audiences, events, etc.
• Designs and manages systems for the flow of information between the Dean/Associate Dean and staff, donors, board, campus partners and external audiences.
1. Master’s degree and 5 years of related experience or Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of related experience in public relations, communications, journalism or related field.
2. Five years of progressive leadership responsibility and supervisory experience.
3. Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
1. Advanced degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field.
2. 3 years of experience directing a communications or advancement unit in higher education.
3. Experience working with a Board of Directors and/or board appointed committees
4. Fundraising experience.
5. Ability to articulate a strategic vision for communications and advancement.
6. Demonstrated success in strategic planning and goal achievement.
7. Understanding the role of a large academic library system within the university.
8. Experience working successfully both within a team-oriented environment and independently.
9. Detail oriented with skills in time and organizational management.
10. Ability to act promptly, collaboratively and strategically to time-sensitive communications needs and opportunities.
11. Experience working with social media tools.
12. Ability to articulate a strong commitment to diversity and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Additional Candidate Instruction Applicants should attach a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references (including at least one previous or current supervisor) to this online application. Please use your cover letter to address how you specifically meet the required and preferred qualifications. An online application must be completed to be considered for this position.
Apply by the deadline of October 8, 2017 to be considered.
Contact Information to Applicants: Mike Broadwell
Advertised Salary Range: Pay starts at $83,344
Application Review Begins: 09-Oct-2017
Anticipated Start Date: 13-Nov-2017
Disclaimer The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University’s programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.
- This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Marina Duka.
- Only members can participate in this group's discussions.