This is a public group to share information on fellowship and grant opportunities.
Center for Holocaust Studies at Inst for Contemporary History to offer grants
- 3 August 2018 at 3:00 pm #1378
The Center for Holocaust Studies at the Institute for Contemporary History will be offering grants for research stays at the Center in Munich during 2019.
The fellowships are designed to support and foster international Holocaust research. The program is aimed at established as well as younger researchers. As we are interested in a high degree of international cooperation, applications from Germany, Europe as well as from all over the world are welcome. A topic within the field of Holocaust Studies is required in order to be eligible for one of the fellowships.
Applicants should explain their interest in a stay at the Center and make clear which holdings of the Archives of the Institute for Contemporary History and potentially other German archives are relevant to them. The fellows are expected to partake actively in the events and research discussions of the Center as well as present their own topic there.
The stipend level depends on the prior academic degrees of the recipients. Fellowships are awarded in the following two categories:
- Junior Fellowships (2500 Euro per month): for PhD Candidates (in exceptional cases, for Master Candidates). These fellowships last up to four months each.
- Senior Fellowships (3500 Euro per month): for researchers with a PhD, Post Docs and those writing a Habilitation. These fellowships last up to four months each.
The Center will offer a workspace with a PC and telephone as well as access to a printer / photocopier. Additionally, non-recurring travel to and from Munich will be covered. The fellows are obliged to take care of any necessary visas, housing and health insurance themselves at an appropriate time.
Additionally, further Fellowships are also being offered together with partner institutions:
- The Joseph-Wulf-Fellowship is being offered together with the Memorial House of the Wannsee Conference for PhD-Candidates (in exceptional cases, for Master Candidates). This Fellowship lasts two months in Munich with 2500 Euro stipend each and one month in Berlin with free lodgings on the premises of the Memorial (preferably in Summer). A simultaneous application to the Junior Fellowships of the Center outlined above is possible.
- 2019 Exchange of Scholars Zentrum für Holocaust-Studien am Institut für Zeitgeschichte and the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
This exchange is designed for PhD candidates, early postdoctoral researchers, and junior faculty members based at US and German institutions or universities respectively who are working on a Holocaust-related subject in all relevant disciplines. Applicants to the Center for Holocaust Studies (Germany) are required to be US citizens (or green-card holders) who wish to spend up to four months in Munich or Berlin. Applicants to the Mandel Center (United States) are required to be German scholars (or permanent residents in Germany) who wish to spend up to four months at the Mandel Center in Washington, DC. Applicants should demonstrate a need to utilize the respective holdings in Munich and Washington. Each institution will provide work space and access to a computer, telephone, and photocopier. Stipends range up to $3,700 per month (and up to the equivalent amount in Euros) and also include a one-time stipend of $1,200 to offset the cost of direct travel to and from Germany or Washington. Visa assistance will be provided. Successful applicants are responsible for securing their own accommodations and health insurance. The award does not include support allowances for accompanying family members. A simultaneous application to the Center Fellowships outlined above is possible for US applicants. Funding for German scholars has been made possible by the Curt C. and Else Silberman Foundation (US).
For German applicants for the Exchange of Scholars, applications should be electronically submitted at: https://www.ushmm.org/fellowship-competition, according to the deadlines for the general USHMM fellowship call to be published later this year.
- All applications must consist of the following:
- An online application form at https://www.ushmm.org/fellowship-competition
- A project proposal, in PDF format, not to exceed five single-spaced pages
- A curriculum vitae summary, in PDF format, not to exceed four single-spaced pages
- Two signed letters of recommendation that speak to the significance of the proposed project and the applicant’s ability to carry it out. Members of the United States Holocaust Memorial Council’s Academic Committee may not write letters of recommendation. Only two letters will be considered. Any additional letters will not be included in the applicant’s file. All application materials, including letters of recommendation for the 2019–20 competition should be received by the deadline of the general USHMM fellowship call to be published later this year, and come directly from the references, not from the applicant. Directions on how to submit letters of recommendation will be e-mailed to the references only after the applicant “submits” their application. Please note the deadline for all materials.
- Contact for German applicants for the Exchange of Scholars: Samantha Hinckley, Program Manager, Visiting Scholar Programs, Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, vscholars[at]ushmm.org, (T) 202.314.7829
Applications – in German or English – have to reach the Zentrum für Holocaust-Studien am Institut für Zeitgeschichte by 22 September 2018 and contain the following materials:
- a motivational letter
- a project proposal (max. 5 pages)
- a curriculum vitae with publication list
- two letters of recommendation
Queries and applications (also for US Applicants for the Exchange of Scholars and preferably by email) should be sent to:
Center for Holocaust Studies at the Institute for Contemporary History
Leonrodstr. 46 b 80636 Munich
Only members can participate in this group's discussions.