This is a public group to share information on fellowship and grant opportunities.
American Councils hiring Resident Director in Almaty, Kazakhstan
- 25 June 2018 at 3:47 pm #1355
American Councils is currently accepting applications for a Resident Director position based in Almaty, Kazakhstan. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven and passionate leader to assist U.S. college students in navigating the academic and cultural landscape of Kazakhstan while participating on a summer, semester, or academic year language immersion program. Please view the posting details below. All applications should be submitted through the link at the bottom of this message.
The Almaty Resident Director serves as the American Councils representative and in-country Program Director for participants on the Advanced Russian Language and Area Studies Program (RLASP), hosted by Al-Farabi Kazakh National University. The Resident Director is available to program participants on a daily basis; observes student classes and meets regularly with teachers, administrators, and students; oversees student housing; and arranges group travel and cultural programs. The Almaty Resident Director is available to participants during any emergencies that arise and communicates regularly with the AC Study Abroad program staff in Washington, DC. Prior to departure for Kazakhstan, the Resident Director attends American Councils orientation programs: for both resident directors, and for participants. The Resident Director travels to Kazakhstan with the student group at the beginning of the program and returns to Washington, DC with the group at the end of the program. Following return to Washington, DC, the Resident Director attends the post-program debrief. The Resident Director reports to the AC Study Abroad Senior Program Manager. All offers are contingent upon ability to receive and maintain a visa to the host country.
Anticipated Employment Date: Mid-August 2018 to mid-August 2019 (covering three program periods: Fall 2018, Spring 2019 and Summer 2019) with possible re-appointment.
- Be available and accessible to program participants on a daily basis, including through office hours, regular presence at the host institution, and weekly group meetings;
- Monitor participants’ health and safety, and promptly communicate issues to the AC Study Abroad office and host institution staff;
- Respond to participant emergencies, including assisting participants with securing medical care and navigating local clinics and hospitals;
- Observe the academic program;
- Coordinate Kazakhstan-based program logistics, including cultural excursions and related travel, and communicate logistical details to the AC Study Abroad office;
- Submit weekly written updates to the AC Study Abroad office and participate in weekly conference calls with the AC Study Abroad office;
- Serve as the local liaison between American Councils and the host institute administration;
- Conduct in-country arrival orientations at the beginning of each program period;
- Review all American Councils student policies and enforce program rules and requirements in consultation with Washington, DC office;
- Regularly visit host families to review conditions, learn about student-host relations, and verify the quality of the host-family placement;
- Communicate with host families and work with participants and local staff to resolve any problems related to host families;
- Recruit new host families and assist with participant placements;
- Ensure participant homestays comply with all American Councils fire-safety requirements;
- Prepare regular contributions for social media to promote the program; assist in additional recruitment efforts;
- Develop contacts with local health professionals, including mental health counselors, to ensure access to necessary resources when responding to participant emergencies;
- Communicate with host university to assist in obtaining invitations for student visas;
- Submit a final report and program evaluations within two weeks of program conclusion;
- Develop and manage program budgets, maintain detailed financial documentation, and submit monthly expense reports; and
- Perform other program-related tasks as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Russian language or area studies, or equivalent;
- Advanced Russian language skills — written and oral (minimum Advanced Mid/High on ACTFL scale);
- Study, work, or extensive travel experience in Kazakhstan or Russia;
- Experience overseeing and guiding groups;
- Experience working in a position of authority with high school, undergraduate, or graduate students preferable;
- Demonstrated skills in academic and personal counseling; and
- Demonstrated skills in general financial accountability.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – American Councils is committed to taking affirmative steps to enhance employment opportunities for minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities, and strives to ensure that meaningful employment and promotional opportunities are maintained for everyone. American Councils’ commitment to equal employment opportunity is based not only on federal requirements, but also on a longstanding commitment to maintaining a diverse workforce reflective of the communities in which we operate.
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION – The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
TO APPLY: Select this link and follow the prompts: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/index.php?/job/apply&clientkey=58AA089E0E2C786B7FE4217373F3BCBD&job=11094&jpt=
Only members can participate in this group's discussions.